CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11/01


I am in awe that 10 yrs has gone by since "America was changed forever". I remember the day like it was yesterday.
A song that totally is a "tear jerker" song but is so well written for the attacks is:



I was home alone surfing the internet and had Good Morning America on watching and listening. My husband was at work. He was working at WMBI-FM radio as the morning show news producer. I remember "listening and watching" Good Morning America and at 7:47AM CST the news broke that a minute before at 7:46AM CST a plane had crashed into the North Tower of the World Trade Center in New York. I remember seeing the first news clips and everyone thinking it was an accident. Good Morning America began reporting on what appeared to be an "accident" then at 8:03AM CST a plane crashed into the South Tower of the World Trade Center. I immediately became "glued" to the TV and the news coverage, as things began to look like a planned attack. I watched as at 8:37AM CST a plane crashed into the Pentagon and then again at 9:09AM CST when a plane crashes into a field in Shanksville, PA. Both towers eventually crumbled to the ground killing almost everyone who was in the towers trying to escape.

I was stunned and thinking "what the heck is going on???" I was also scared for the safety of this GREAT country we live in. I had just found out 9 days prior that I was pregnant with our first child. I was scared for the safety of those working in airports, including my twin sister. I had worked at Midway airport from Feb 01-August 01, but still had many friends who worked at the airport. I stayed glued to the TV and the internet the entire day. My husband who usually worked 5am-9am did not get home until 9pm that day. All Radio and TV stations had non-stop coverage of the attacks for almost 24hrs. The attacks were in the news for 2 months straight.

Many lives were lost that day: 2,988 is the count that I kept hearing being repeated today. Many "heroes" were born that day from survivors who tried to help others, to the first responders, to the Drs., Nurses, and hospitals that treated the survivors. I think the New York city Mayor, Rudy Giuliani, did an amazing job in the days, weeks and months that followed. President George W. Bush also responded to America's worries and kept us informed. The current Mayor of New York, Mayor Bloomberg, has been instrumental in making sure the Memorial Pools at "Ground Zero" were ready for the 10th Anniversary Memorial today and they were.

I spent this morning the same way I did that morning 10 yrs ago, I was "Glued" to the 3hr special that Good Morning America has on. It was very touching, especially the part where they showed the "babies" of 9/11. The babies who are now almost 10, who were either just born or being formed in the womb when the 9/11 attacks happened. Diane Sawyer has been following these babies over the years and it was amazing to see them all 10yrs later. 

10 years have gone by and things have changed for me: I am now mom to 3 wonderful boys ages 9, 8 and 6. We just started to explain to them about the events of 9/11/01. I love homeschooling our boys!

America has changed so much in the last 10 yrs. We have a new President, America has been in economic turmoil for 3 years now and we have been at war in 2 countries since the 9/11 attacks. Airlines have gone through many ups and downs, mainly downs over the last 10 yrs.

America has been forever changed by the events of 9/11/01 and I know I will never FORGET! 


Share/Bookmark Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...