My 11yr old LOVES drawing and is a "Budding artist". I was given the opportunity, as part of the Mosaic Review Team, to use and review See the Light Art Projects DVD. My son and I were super excited when we found out we were receiving a DVD.
We received the Peaceful Seas DVD in the mail about a week later and we began watching and learning right away. Peaceful Seas is a WaterColor Art Project, and we choose this one because WaterColor is something that my son has never tried. Peaceful Seas is also based on the works of Winslow Homer, a watercolorist from the 19th Century.
The DVD is 98 minutes long and divided into 4 Sessions:
1. Set the Scene and Basic Wash (32 minutes)
2. Beach Foreground with Salt and Plastic Bag Techniques (20 minutes)
3. Creating the Water in Watercolor (26 minutes)
4. Final Details of Boat and Shore (20 minutes)
Pat Knepley is the instructor in the video and she takes the students step by step through the Art Projects.
My son & I worked through the DVD in a week, taking one lesson at a time.
Lesson 1: We learned how to draw sailboats and do a Basic Watercolor Wash. The sailboats had to be drawn in way that they would be "covered" up by the Watercolor and not be seen when done. My son had a difficult time with this step at first because he wanted to press hard, but after pressing lightly he got it.
Lesson 2: Joshua had the BEST time with this part of the project. He used Table Salt to create the Beach scene. He learned that the salt gives the Beach color a "sand feel" by it feeling grainy. The plastic bag was used to make the Rock look "rough".
Lesson 3: Joshua had the hardest time with "Creating the Water". He felt his hand wasn't steady enough, so we took a minute and rested the hand differently and he worked it out. I LOVED watching the water become real on paper, it looks so serene and beautiful.
Lesson 4: The Watercolor is almost done and this lesson was about adding in the detail of the Boat and Shore areas. Joshua LOVES using Chalk Pastels, so this was "easy peasy" for him.
Peaceful Seas Art Project is a WONDERFUL DVD and lots of fun. Joshua has inquired about doing more watercolor projects, something I could have never imagined he would be interested in.
Information about See the Light Art Project DVD:
There are 9 DVD's in the Art Project Series:
- DRAW A WINDOW IN THE STYLE OF LOUIS COMFORT TIFFANY
- DRAW A WATERCOLOR PAINTING IN THE STYLE OF AMERICAN POP ARTIST WAYNE THIEBAUD
- CREATE A PAPER COLLAGE IN THE STYLE FRENCH ARTIST HENRI ROUSSEAU
- CREATE A FRUIT STILL LIFE IN THE STYLE OF FRENCH ARTIST GEORGES SEURAT
- CREATE AN ABSTRACT FLOWER IN THE STYLE OF AMERICAN ARTIST GEORGIA O’KEEFFE
- CREATE AN ACRYLIC OR TEMPERA PAINTING IN THE STYLE OF RUSSIAN ARTIST MARC CHAGALL
- DRAW A CHALK PASTEL IN THE STYLE OF FRENCH ARTIST EDGAR DEGAS
- PAINT A WATERCOLOR SEASCAPE IN THE STYLE OF AMERICAN ARTIST WINSLOW HOMER
- CREATE AN OIL PASTEL SUFLOWER IN THE STYLE OF DUTCH ARTIST VINCENT VAN GOGH
Each DVD is $14.99 or you can get the whole set for $99.99. Purchase Details HERE.
The Art Project series is Recommended for Ages 10+.
See the Light also has many other products available in their STORE
Where to Find See the Light online:
Our Final Thoughts:
We give this Peaceful Seas Art Project 5 out of 5 stars and HIGHLY recommend it!